2.03.2019

T.S. Eliot: Making a Case for Theft

“Immature poets imitate; mature poets steal; bad poets deface what they take, and good poets make it into something better, or at least something different.”
T.S. Eliot, The Sacred Wood
I always go back to this quote when I need clarity on issues of appropriation. Right off the bat, T.S. Eliot does something quite curious. He redefines the verb "steal" as an enviable action which requires skill and maturity. It may seem like Eliot is encouraging artists to wrong other artists, when really, the poet is demanding authenticity. Imitating is noncommittal, and through imitation an immature poet eclipses the essence of the imitated work. "Theft," on the other hand, involves shouldering the whole weight of a work's meaning and assuming the consequences.

When I see Japanese footwork, I think "imitation." I can't dispute that the Japanese footworkers we witnessed in class found a way to build on the original dance: the club scene has come to symbolize a legitimate rebellion against the status quo. That being said, it remains a superficial performance. Chicago footwork dancers draw on economic and racial hardship: because of these limitations, they must think outside of the box, experimenting creatively with what they do have. What part of Japanese footwork pushes the limits of possibility? There must be some kind of power structure to push back against in a local way. The fallout of "imitation" is a fragile sense of identity. When will the Harlem club-goers, the Japanese who buy fake dreadlocks, decide they're black enough? How will they ever feel authentic in their performance? The act of imitation is not only disrespectful, it's shortsighted.

Then what does equitable cultural exchange look like? I came across a social media squabble from 2017 involving two basketball players. Retired player Kenyon Martin called out Jeremy Lin for having dreadlocks. In response, Lin posted "i think as minorities, the more that we appreciate each others cultures, the more we influence mainstream society" after mentioning Martin's Chinese tattoos. All right. But is this equitable? I would tend to say no, because dreadlocks on black folks has long been associated with criminality, whereas on other races it's considered fashionable.

Equitable cultural exchange isn't a contest of who gets the most hurt in the process. Equitable exchange means not taking a culture for granted. Being diligent. Empathetic. I want to think it can happen, but it seems difficult in a society where we privilege sharing over listening.

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire